Saturday, August 9, 2008

Shopping for football gear is a man's job

Carson is playing football. Insane amount of practices but we are going to give it a whirl. Pretty excited about everything except the part that took me to the store to buy a cup and a jock strap for an 8 year old. First try...went to the store....looked at the various sizes....laughed like I was 12, looked around grabbed the kids (who were trying on various equipment I'm sure they weren't suppose to touch) and left vowing to make Josh go back to get the job done. When the next practice day rolled around and my husband hadn't been able to "get the item", I set my jaw, made a beck train of 5 holding hands through the parking lot and hit the football aisle again. This time all eyes were (5 of them) were on the jock strap section. "Mom what's that?"..."Nothing, don't touch". "Do you wear them on your face?". "No. Look over there, water bottles!"
Finally a sales lady (LADY YEAH!!!) came to my rescue with the last youth size available and the Beck train heads for the check out with Hagen announcing, "Carson, we got your wienie protector!" I pretend like I don't hear, we check out and head to the car. I did it!!! Assuming the humiliation is over I smile as I pull out of the parking lot, pretty proud of myself. As I glance over I notice Carson in the front seat next to me, wearing the jock strap on his head using the cup like a boat on the dash board. The humiliation is never over. How long is football season?

4 comments:

Josh said...

You truly are the woman of my dreams!!!!! I luv U.

Mama Dian said...

Thank you for sharing this small glimpse into your very busy life. You make me laugh and cry and very proud of the woman, wife, and mother you are. I don't take for granted the times we share together Praying for my favorite 6 pack!

Mimi2eleven said...

I love the blog! It enables me to keep up with everyone when I can't get you on the phone. Just remember, these are the best days of your life! You will want to remember every one of these stories some day. I love you all.

Melissa said...

Oh Hagen...I love the things that come out of kids' mouths :)