Friday, September 3, 2010

Another Day....

Add Image In the Last 10 days my family has seen glimpses of amazing and wonderful things. In Kenya our hearts were captured by the children who grabbed our hands and shared the day with us at the Children's Home. In Karamoja, with wide eyes we observed what a tribal people looks like untouched by civilization. (And when those glimpses didn't meet the minimum clothing criteria, my children enjoyed the view of my hand over their eyes :) But today I saw a glimpse of a red balloon in a tree. Probably unnoticed by anyone walking by below or by those swinging a machete to cut the grass in the yard across the street, but from my kitchen window I saw it and it made me smile. It was held tightly in the hands of one of the local children. They climb the tall Mango tree across the street and hang out there where the can see everything we crazy mzungo (white people) do behind our fence. My kiddos enjoy playing with them and every once in a while we hear a slight knock on our gate and the kids come in with some amazing gift they have made for our children. Once it was a car made of wire and bottle caps. Once it was a girl doll made from banana leaves, followed a few days later by a boy one. Once it was miniature statues of animals they had sculpted out of termite mound clay. My kids proudly display these treasures in their rooms. However, Josh, (the hubby), began noticing that our kids were getting really good at accepting gifts and not very good at giving them. A little disturbed by this, He helped them to understand the importance of giving and not just receiving. To which they replied, "Ok Dad" and headed on their way, probably back to the latest game they had concocted that involved Star Wars, a princess(my daughter may play with the boys, but it is always on her terms), and balloons brought from the States. We were left wondering if anything we tried to teach them was able to hang out in their cute little noggins long enough to affect their hearts. So when I glanced out the window and saw the red balloon it made me smile. They did hear. A red balloon shared may seem like a small thing, but when it arrives in a package that still smells like America, it becomes a treasure. A treasure worth sharing. I can think of another treasure worth sharing. One that still smells like heaven and wants nothing more than to be given to someone who will hold on tightly with both hands. Grateful to be here to share that gift, and for the glimpse of Him today in a red balloon. Hope you enjoy these pics of our recent road trips :)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting this in words, Denise...well said, and well lived!

Tara said...

Oh Denise- You made me smile, tear up and view a glimpse of your world. You write as if I can just picture I'm there. Thanks. Praying for you all and thankful for those giving kids of yours.