Friday, July 30, 2010

Snowballs in Africa










I met a friend here the other day. It was one of those divine appointments. I was browsing the web looking up mango worms ( a not so pleasant event we have so far managed to avoid), when I stumbled upon a blog of a woman living and working in the city I am living in. We began emailing and a few weeks later happened to run into each other at the grocery store. She is an amazing woman and I thank God for his gift of friendship to me. Today I recieved an email from her remembering people she had lost in her life...including her 18 year old son 3 years ago. So today I enjoyed the little everyday wonderful things, like a snowball fight in Africa.

There are 4 brothers who are becoming a regular fixture at our house, Daniel, Ivan, Simon, and Moses. They were showing us the new gadgets they had made out of wood and rubber strips when the guys showed up with our replacement fridge. So that meant the old fridge was coming out, with about 4 inches thick of frost caked inside the freezer. I was inside learning how to make matoke in banana leaves with Lydia, when I heard laughing and shouting. I went outside and found an impromptu African snowball fight going on between our kids (including the brothers), and the children outside of our gate. I laughed thinking about all of the impossible things that have followed the sayings like, "They'll be snowball fight in Africa before.....". Well this is a place where impossible things are happening. I can't wait to see what happens next.

2 comments:

Angelique said...

This post made me think of a winter when we were really little and living next door to each other on Starlight Drive. There was actually a lot of snow for once and we made snow forts with you and Dawn and had a snowball fight. We've come long way since then!

Angelique said...

This post made me think of a winter when we were really little and living next door to each other on Starlight Drive. There was actually a lot of snow for once and we made snow forts with you and Dawn and had a snowball fight. We've come long way since then!